Tuesday 4 November 2014

Developing My Final Design Ideas

After deciding that I wanted to incorporate fullers earth into my final design, I wanted to think of something different than just applying it the whole face as I had seen that before. I wanted to create something new and different. I thought of the idea of contrast between how the makeup on the face used to look, with the thick clay, and how Elizabeth I portrayed the skin to look through her portraits. She portrayed her skin to look flawless, smooth, porcelain and natural all at the same time, whereas the skin would have actually looked very heavy, cakey and powdery. The white lead and vinegar combination that was used to give them a very white complexion was very harmful to the skin and made it go grey and shrivelled. I therefore thought I could incorporate both makeup looks into one. 

Idea 4
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/51/1f/47/511f477b7397bedb46b58526206fa48a.jpg
I saw this image and it gave me inspiration for my Elizabethan look. I could have the smooth, perfected skin that Elizabeth I portrayed breaking through from the very heaving and cracking makeup. So the outside would be the cracking part an then the inside would be the smooth part. For this look I decided to keep the makeup very true to the Elizabethan makeup, with the rosy red cheeks and lips and the white face, white eyebrows and white eyelashes.


Idea 5

http://silverliningmarketing.com/avant-garde-eye-makeup-tips/
Another idea would be to just keep the smooth and perfected skin around the eyes, so where the red painted mask is on the image above, would be where the smooth skin would be and then the cracked skin would be on the rest of the face and also brought down the neck. I am really excited about this makeup design! It's a bit confusing imagining the look when I'm looking at the image above with the bright red and jewels, but below if the face chart that shows the look better. For this look I decided to do the makeup look I created in 'idea 1' on top of the fullers earth and on the skin.



Idea 6

I was really excited about the fullers earth idea, but I wanted to incorporate something different. I thought that underneath the white clay I should put some colour on the skin so that when the clay cracked on top, the colour showed from beneath. I took inspiration from the image below because, as you can see, there is some green paint showing through from underneath, giving it a rotting look.

Add caption

This gave me the idea to incorporate the bad effects that the white lead and vinegar had on the skin. Elizabeth I got small pox that left her with scars on her face so she used more and more white face paint to cover them up. I therefore thought it would work if I made the skin underneath the white clay a greyish, blackish colour, with small red patches to represent the rotting of the skin and the small pox scarrs that Elizabeth I had. I would create this base with a mixture of red, grey and black super colours and also eyeshadows. I wasn't sure how much the skin would show through underneath so I had to do some tests on myself first. But I think it could look really effective and less 'perfect' looking. 

Example of small pox
http://stephenornes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/smallpox.jpg
Example of small pox scarring
http://www.elsevierimages.com/images/vpv/000/000/037/37059-0550x0475.jpg



Sources:
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/makeup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment