Friday 7 November 2014

Experimenting with Fullers Earth (Thickness of Application)

Thick layer on left, thin layer on right.
After receiving Fuller's Earth in the post I was excited to try it out! I wanted to see what effects were given with different thicknesses applied to the face. I applied a thick layer to half the face ad a thin layer to the other half.

Thick layer

Thick layer, close-up
I really like the broken, almost crocodile skin effect given by the thick layer. I like how it looks uneven, with some big chunks and some smaller bits. Some of the chunks look very 3 dimensional, curving off the skin, which gives the skin a lot of texture. You can see the skin underneath the mask quite clearly so I'd have to think of a way to either blend the colour of the skin with the mask or make it a different colour. The mask took a long time to dry, so I'd have to think how I'd make that work with the time slot that we have. 

Thin layer

Thin layer, close-up
This thickness of product gives a more scaly, snake skin effect. There are not any chunks of skin showing, but because there are so many tiny cracks, the overall effect means that the colour of the skin shows through, so again I'd have to think about what I'd do with the skin. I don't think the layer of white lead and vinegar, that the Elizabethan women wore, would have been as chunky looking and I don't think as much skin would have shown through, so I therefore think I will use the thinner layer. The thinner layer gives a more texturised look and I think the bumpy, flakey look would been more true to what the skin would have looked like. 

Face straight after removal of Fuller's Earth
When I took the mask off I was a bit concerned because my face looked very red; however after about 30 minutes this redness went down and my skin returned to normal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment