Tuesday 4 November 2014

Fullers Earth

Fuller's Earth

I was really excited about somehow incorporating the cracked skin look from 'idea 3' so I did research into how I would actually create this cracked makeup look and fullers earth seemed to be one of the best techniques for doing this.

Volcanic clay
http://indianpolska.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/multani-mitti-fullers-earth-or-indian-volcanic-clay/
Fullers earth, also known as Multani Mitti or Indian volcanic clay, is a clay without any chemical treatment. It has many uses, including medicine to treat paraquat, decontamination of clothing in the military if their clothes have been contaminated by chemical agents, beauty purposes, such as face masks and dry shampoo and also for special effects in TV and film.

To use fuller's earth on the skin, you add drops of water to a certain amount and mix in a small container until you get a smooth paste. The paste is then smoothed over the face and left to dry for around 15 minutes. When the clay drys it cracks on the face.

Fullers Earth Clay
https://www.thesage.com/images/prod/5021605.jpg
http://www.aapkisaheli.com/en/english_image/-1381570082-beauty-boost-7.jpg
Above is the effect given if a thin layer of the fullers earth clay is used on the face and, as you can see, small cracks have started to form. I am intrigued to see different effects can be created with different amounts applied, from very thin to very thick. I am also interested in experimenting with how I could colour the clay as in the Elizabethan times their face makeup was white because of the chalk, so I would like to see if I could change the colour from light brown to white. I have ordered some fullers earth and I can't wait for it to arrive so I can start experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment