Saturday 8 November 2014

Further Fullers Earth Experimentation (Colour and Layering)

I knew that I wanted the fullers earth to look white on the skin, but the fullers earth that I purchased was a grey/cream colour. I wanted to test out ways that I could make this look more white, either by giving the clay a white colour of by applying white over the top after the clay was dry. Below are my experiments that I carried out.

1. Mixing the fullers earth with the Illamasqua white skin base. 

When I mixed them together, the skin bar did not make the fullers earth white, but just lightened it slightly in colour. Once the fullers earth had dried it had made almost no difference to the colour of the clay.

Fullers earth mixed with white skin base.
2. Applying the fullers earth on the skin and then, when the fullers earth is dry, dapping over the top with the white skin base.

I found it difficult to get an even coverage and I found that a lot of the grey colour still showed through. I am not completely happy with how this has come out because it doesn't look white enough and it looks very patchy. However I think it would work if I applied the white super colour on top instead because it has a thicker consistency.

Fullers earth layered with white super colour.

3. Applying the fullers earth to the skin and then, when the fullers earth is still wet, apply white super colour over the top. 

The final finish looks very streaky, with clear brush stokes, however I quite like that effect given. I'm not sure if the Elizabethans used brushes to apply their makeup, but I do know that artists would use brushes, so I know they were available. I still don't think this looks white enough though, so I will do further experiments to see if I can get a whiter look.

Straight after white super colour has been applied.
After the fullers earth and white super colour have dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment