Tuesday 4 November 2014

Ideas and Research Towards My Final Design

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vgXE8mFTzAo/TBzi5Q9iWSI/
AAAAAAAAA-Q/vwz7xFWIQEs/s1600/2h55s21.jpg
With all these looks that I created, I had my Modern Elizabethan Look of Lily Cole in mind. I knew I wanted there to be some aspect of an Elizabethan makeup look, but I also wanted to incorporate Lily Cole's Italian Vogue makeup look. I really liked the way the same pink colour was used on her cheeks and eyes because it was a colour that the Elizabethans would have used on the apples of their cheeks, but to modify the look the makeup artist, Osvaldo Salvatierra, also applied this colour to another part of face. You can see I was inspired by this look in all my final ideas, where the same pink colour has been used on different parts of the face. I was also inspired by the patchy, scratchy and almost painful looking coloured cheeks. It reminded me of the negative effects that the makeup would have had on the Elizabethan women. I wanted my makeup look to have this same painful kind of look, representing the harm that the toxic makeup could have done. I did some research into this and found a different way of showing this, using fullers earth.

Idea 1

http://imgmf4.starnow.com/20/2444820_4111289.jpg
I first came across this makeup look. I really like that it is very Elizabethan, with the very fair eyebrows, white complexion, fair eyelashes and rosy pink lips. I really like how only two colours have been used in this look because it looks almost simplistic. White has been used for the face, eyebrows and eyelashes, and then a rosy/peachy pink has been used on the inner part of the eye, on the lower lash line, under the cheek bones and on the lips. I also really like how the model's neck and chest are the same colour as the face, instead of the face looking like a white mask, and how the hair has been put in an Elizabethan style as it ties the look together perfectly. If  I were do to this look, I think I would have changed the positioning of the contour so that it makes the cheek bones stand out a bit more and I would make the lips matte. My favourite part of this look would have to be the eyes. All the parts that I would usually make dark (eyebrows, eyelashes, outer crease), have been kept light and the inner corner, that I usually try to highlight, is the darkest part. I think it is clever how these have been reversed to give a modern and high fashion makeup look.

Face chart 1
I created a face chart to represent this makeup look, but using a rosier pink colour, as the Elizabethans' wore rosy blushes and not peachy colours. I would use the white base from Illamasqua as the base all over the face. To make the eyebrows and eyelashes white, I would use a disposable wand and some white super colour to coat them. I think I would prefer this look to blocking them out because I still want to see the texture of the eyebrows. I would then powder the face with a translucent powder to set the makeup and get it a matte finish. I would use a mixture of the two pink colours in the blush palette for the rosy pink colour and use this powder colour for the eyes, cheeks and also lips to give the lips a soft, natural look. 

Idea 2


http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/32/55/49/32554931a783d67977e074f7b43d6ef8.jpg
I then found this image and I really liked how the eyes were accentuated with the black/grey colour through the eyes and up to the temples and I thought the dots were a fun addition. The look has a hint of Elizabethan about it because of the very pale skin and soft eyebrows and eyelashes. I really liked the colouring of 'idea 1' so I want to incorporate both the looks into one, to have the colour of idea 1 and the extended eye colour and spots of this image. My face chart that I created is below.

Face chart 2
I used the same mixture of pink colours, but instead of mixing them together before applying them to the face, I decided to apply the light pink as a base and then add the darker pink where I thought more shadow was needed to give more depth to the face. I was inspired by the second image inspiration so I created the same 'pulled out' eyeshadow look and I added some white dots to add a more playful edge to the look. I thought the face would look too washed out if I only did a light contour, so I decided to put the light pink on the cheeks and use the darker pink as a contour shade. I decided to keep the lips the same an in 'idea 1', but make the colour darker and more concentrated in the centre to give an ombre effect. I also decided to add five white dots along the bottom lip to balance out the dots round the eyes. The face would be very light and I would create this by using Illamasqua's skin base in white and the eyebrows and eyelashes would be white too, using the white super colour. I really like this look, however I wanted to be more experimental and maybe more abstract with my final look.

Idea 3


http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/a7/e6/d5/
a7e6d5884726b8bfcce54d6506f0c91a.jpg
I came across this cracked makeup look and I really liked how it reflected the very cakey and heavy face makeup of the Elizabethan era. I also really like it because it shows the reality of how the makeup looked instead of how Elizabeth I wanted to portray how the makeup looked. When I first looked at the project brief I wanted to create a beautiful, modern look, with flawless skin, however after seeing this image I was inspired to look outside the box and see how far I could take this 'cracking' concept. I created a face chart below to show the look that this image inspired me to come up with.

Face chart 3
The grey cracks represent the cracking clay on the face. I wasn't sure whether or not to actually put clay onto the face or whether to draw cracks onto the face, but I would love to experiment with a new product and texture to expand my knowledge and I also think it would be a lot of fun, so I went with the clay option! I incorporated 'idea 1' with this cracked look and was thinking of putting the rosy pink eyeshadow on top of the clay and I think it would work; however I want to come up with something a bit more individual for my final look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment